I’ll occasionally ask my husband what he wants me to cook this week, or I’ll ask what he grew up eating, and he requested rosemary chicken. I had never made this before, so I Pinterested this recipe from Aunt Bee’s Recipes.
To save you from wasting money and having sad faces at the dinner table, I’m only going to post tried & true recipes from my personal collection that I know will be successful and not a total fail.
This recipe is one of those “oh dang” recipes, and the original calls for just stir-fry spinach on the side, but ya girl needs her mashed potatoes…
Here are my ingredients
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded down to an even thickness of 1/2 inch
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 bag of fresh spinach
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2lbs potatoes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp milk
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
Here are my instructions
- Peel your potatoes, chop into large chunks, toss into a pot of boiling water, set your timer to check on them at 15 minutes.
- Grab your skillet and cook mushrooms, garlic and onions in olive oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Place chicken in the same skillet. Sprinkle rosemary all over chicken and mushrooms. Cook chicken breasts on both sides until browned and cooked through. (About 10 min each side)
- Check on those potatoes! When they are fork-tender, drain and return back to the pot. Add butter, splash of milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mash with a potato masher, or whatever you have on hand. Taste, and adjust if necessary. (I don’t like to mash potatoes in my mixer because I notice that they get gluey from my unintentional over mixing more often than I would like)
- Remove chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm, toss mushrooms back in the skillet. Stir in wine, chicken broth and 2 Tbsp butter to skillet and cook over medium/low heat until sauce reduces a little bit. (you’re gonna want that yummy sauce, so don’t reduce the crap out of it)
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, add minced garlic to 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add the spinach and allow it to wilt. Add some salt and pepper up in there.
- Layer mashed potatoes, then spinach, then chicken and top with the mushrooms and pan sauce. Good job, you did it.